Hardy Stevens, the son of John Stevens, was born about 1749 in New Hanover County, North Carolina. He purchased land in Duplin County on the east side of Great Cohairie Creek.
Hardy married Jemima Brown (the daughter of Reverend Edward Brown of Brown’s Baptist Church), and had at least six children: John Stevens (1767), Micajah Stevens, Edward Stevens (1772), Hardy Stevens II, Theophilus Stevens (25 October 1780) and Susannah Stevens.
Hardy Stevens was a private in the North Carolina Militia during the Revolutionary War. He received militia voucher #262 for 39 pounds, 17 shillings, 6 pence. In 1784, the western portion of Duplin County where Hardy was living became Sampson County. In 1784, Hardy was taxed for 1000 acres, two free white polls, and 2 black polls in a special census for Sampson County. In 1790, Hardy was living in the Fayette District of Sampson County.
Hardy died on 13 November 1793 in Sampson County, North Carolina. Hardy’s estate was valued on 10 February 1794 at £384, 5s., 11d. of personal property, and £814, 6s., 8d. of real estate (1,275 acres). In the Sampson County Court Minutes of 1795, both Theophilus (15 years old) and Susannah, who were minors at the time of their father’s death, appealed to have their mother Jemima given guardianship over them, which was granted.